Sending or Receiving Material

When transferring materials into or outside of KU, a material transfer agreement (MTA) document is necessary. The first step is to fill out a material transfer questionnaire.

We will contact you if we need more information and to let you know when the agreement is executed. If you are receiving research material and have been sent a draft material transfer agreement by the provider of the material, please send that document along with your completed questionnaire.

Types of Material Transfer Agreements

There are three main types of MTA agreements:

  • Transfer between academic/research institutions
  • Transfers from academia to industry
  • Transfer from industry to academia
Export Controls

Innovation and collaboration is fundamental to KU’s global outreach. US and international laws governing technology transfers are complex and impact patent applications, licensing, and research agreements We are committed to complying with all laws and regulations that govern our international activities including those foreign visitors and employees who work and participate in projects on all KU campuses. KUCTC works closely with the General Counsel’s Office and Export-Import control team. To ensure compliance, investigators, entrepreneurs, and future CEOs are encouraged to use their services early in project development.

General Counsel's Office
Kimberly Grunewald

Export Controls
Matthew Battiston

How long will it take for KUCTC to complete a MTA?

KUCTC is committed to reviewing and processing each Material Transfer Agreement as quickly as possible. We will keep you updated on the status of the MTA and our office is always available to answer any questions you might have. The turnaround time on an MTA varies greatly. Each company or institution providing the materials is different and the time from start to finish depends greatly on the type of MTA as well as the response from the provider. Some agreements can be turned around in a matter of days while others can take several weeks or months. The best way to assure that your MTA is processed as quickly as possible is to make the request as early as possible along with any additional approvals or forms that might be needed.

Why have an MTA?

MTAs address several important issues: publication rights, liability of both the sender and the recipient, who will own intellectual property developed from the materials and any limits on the use of the material. Negotiating and reaching an agreement on the MTA can help avoid later issues and preserve the collaborative nature of the research.

Who signs an MTA?

Kansas University Center for Technology Transfer is designated as the office to negotiate MTAs on behalf of KU and the KU Medical Center. Each campus has a designated administrative official who signs on behalf of KU or KUMC. MTAs are binding, legal documents that could have legal penalties for violations of the terms. Researchers are not designated as signatories to MTAs because the MTA is done in the name of the University and Researchers are not authorized to sign on behalf of KU or KUMC.

Why should I read the MTA?
Researchers are asked to read MTAs before using the materials so that they are aware of important conditions such as the term of the agreement, any restrictions on use of the materials and publication requirements. These terms can affect how long you have to use the material, how far ahead do you need to notify the provider of any publications and whether you can transfer the material to other collaborators. Breach of these terms could result in liability for the University as well as significantly affect your ability to do the research and publish.
IP Policy

KU Today